Open Water Swim Clinics
Every Wednesday at 5:00 pm | June 7th – August 16th
Improve your skills and confidence for an enjoyable open water swimming experience!
Open water swimming presents challenges and fears for many. Sign-up for the open water swim clinic to get tips, advice and training from professional swim and triathlon coaches!
Open Water Swim Clinic @ 5:00 PM
Every week before the open water swim event
Private or Semi-Private Instruction @ 6:00 PM
Limited availability, first come, first serve
Every week at 5:00 pm
This clinic is highly recommended for triathletes and swimmers with limited or no open water experience. Designed to increase tactical and open water skills to improve your performance and reduce anxiety. More confidence and comfort will increase your ability to swim safely and continuously in open water and during a race/triathlon.
Please note: This is not a learn to swim clinic, participants need to be able to swim independently. You should be able to comfortably swim a minimum of 200m in a pool.
Learn open water swim and triathlon race skills:
- Wetsuit basics
- Swimming straight
- Dealing with waves/choppy water
- Group start (where you feel like everyone is kicking you and trying to swim over the top of you)
- How to stay relaxed
- How to signal for help
- Drafting techniques
- Buoy turns
- Race day strategies
Clinic is single session only and can be done separately or prior to the open water swim event at 6:00 pm (Tri-Training event not included in Clinic fee). Clinic can be done once or multiple times until you are ready to join the open water swim.
All participants must be a member of USA Triathlon or purchase the 1-day membership
Private or Semi-private Coaching
Available at 6:00 pm by advanced reservation
This session is reserved for a one on one or semi-private (2 people) lesson/coaching with a coach. Limited availability and you must register at least 24 hours in advance, no event day reservations.
This is a one hour lesson focused on your individual needs, abilities and goals. Private and semi-private lessons work well for many levels of athletes:
- Total beginners – focused instruction on learning how to swim
- New to open water – focused instruction on your specific needs/fears
- Intermediate/Advanced – Analysis of your technique/stroke, become more efficient, learn how to train to become faster and stronger in the open water, racing strategy and race day skills.
A Private session can help take your swimming and racing to the next level.
What to bring
- USA Triathlon membership card or purchase 1-day membership in advance or onsite.
- Picture ID
- Swim suit
- Wet suit – optional, water is 60s – 70s
- Free demo wetsuits will be available onsite
- Swim cap
- Warm clothes for after the swim
Meet the Coaches!
The Swim Clinics are designed to help you with:
- Training/preparing for your triathlon race
- Race Morning
- Water acclimation
- Overcoming anxiety of open water
- Open water swim techniques
- Sighting in the open water
- Water conditions
- Race strategy